Our skin is the largest organ in the human body, and it has amazing healing properties. The concept of creating tiny punctures in the skin to get the body to initiate a healing response is not new. It was originally tried back in the 50s, but then fell out of favor. It returned in the 90s with the use of tattoo guns, minus the ink, to lessen the appearance of post-surgical scars.
Today this concept has been refined, and it is now known as microneedling. At AesthetiSpa, we use microneedling to improve skin texture and firmness, and to reduce scars, pore size, and stretch marks. The goal of microneedling is to create new collagen and elastin, making the skin younger looking.
What is microneedling?
Microneedling uses the body’s wound-healing mechanisms to improve your skin. For our microneedling at AesthetiSpa we use the SkinPen. The SkinPen uses 14 stainless steel medical-grade needles to create hundreds of microscopic channels down through the epidermis and into the dermis. We can vary the penetration depth of the SkinPen needles, depending on the area being treated. These micro-injuries trigger a wound-healing response in the body, where healthy new skin cells and collagen are produced and sent to “heal” the perceived wounds. This happens despite the fact that the microscopic punctures heal fully in just a couple of hours.
What are the benefits of the SkinPen over other microneedling devices?
At AesthetiSpa we’re big fans of the SkinPen. It has numerous advantages over other microneedling systems:
- SkinPen has clinical testing to prove its effectiveness for reducing acne scars and improving skin texture and quality.
- SkinPen was the first FDA-cleared microneedling device and has consistently set the industry standard.
- The microneedle penetration depth can be adjusted. This is especially important due to variations in skin depth. For instance, the forehead has much thinner skin than the cheeks.
- SkinPen is uniquely effective on the delicate areas around the eyes and around the mouth.
- For each microneedling session we use a sterile, new, single-use SkinPen cartridge to eliminate the risk of infection.
- SkinPen has a Bio-Sheath feature to protect against any cross contamination.
Where on the body can I have SkinPen microneedling?
At AesthetiSpa we perform microneedling with the SkinPen across the body: on the face, neck, chest, arms, hands, legs, abdomen, and back.
Want to use a little wound healing to improve your skin? Call us at AesthetiSpa, (843) 849-9925, to make your appointment.