Laser Hair Removal
Many women feel uncomfortable with facial hair or hair on other areas of the body. Imagine a laser so fast, affordable and effective that it eliminates shaving, plucking, waxing, and even razor bumps! Here at Mount Pleasant’s AesthetiSpa, we offer laser hair removal treatments as an alternative to traditional forms of hair removal.
Why choose laser hair removal?
Laser hair removal has been one of the leading medical spa treatments since it first emerged several years ago. This process is popular for several reasons, including:
- Hair growth begins to decrease after the very first treatment, easing the need to shave.
- Treatments are convenient, lasting less than an hour for most areas of the body.
- Limited hair growth eliminates the need to shave or otherwise remove unwanted hair.
- Laser hair removal is more comfortable and more efficient than electrolysis.
The results of a series of treatments last many years.
What Is Laser Hair Removal?
Laser hair removal is one of the most common cosmetic procedures performed in the United States. This laser treatment can remedy the discomfort of razor bumps and ingrown hair that many men experience. The lasers concentrate beams of light directly into the hair follicles, destroying the hair. This is a great solution for people who are not happy with shaving, plucking, or waxing their body or facial hair.
AesthetiSpa uses the latest in laser hair removal technology. We can effectively treat pigmented hair on any skin color or type, including tanned skin. Patients can resume their normal daily activity within minutes of treatment.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Laser Hair Removal?
While laser hair treatment is a great option for many people, it is not optimal for everybody. You may be an ideal candidate for laser hair removal if you have:
- Unwanted facial or body hair
- Hair darker than your skin color
- Skin that is not too tanned
This treatment is a great option for patients who experience skin irritation with other forms of hair removal.
Who is not a candidate for laser hair removal?
Most adults are great candidates for laser hair removal. Some of the characteristics that we observe during a consultation include:
- Skin type– Laser hair removal works by targeting melanin in strands of hair. Having darker skin tone than hair used to prevent some people from being good candidates for laser hair removal. With advances in technology, we can treat a wider range of skin tones and types using the latest laser devices.
- Hair type and Color– Looking again at the targeting of melanin, we can see that darker hair is generally easier to reduce than lighter hair. Coarser hair is also more responsive to laser light. Finer, lighter hair can often be removed with laser treatments, though more sessions may be needed to achieve lasting results.
- Personal commitment– For a person to be a good candidate for laser hair removal, they must be willing to commit to their series of treatments. The entire process can take over a year. However, because results occur right away, it should be easy to see the entire treatment plan through to completion.
- Pain tolerance– This is not to say that laser hair removal is painful. It isn’t. However, there are sensations during treatment that may feel like zaps of heat or snaps of a rubber band. The short-lived sunburned sensation after treatment also needs to be taken into account when committing to a round of laser hair removal. There are ways to manage the minor discomforts of treatment, and the benefits are far greater than the mild side effects that occur.Laser hair removal is not appropriate for women who are pregnant or nursing. Treatment also may not work on very light or gray hair due to the lack of melanin. People with an active skin infection or dermatologic problem in the desired treatment area will need to postpone treatment until their condition has resolved.
What are the Benefits of Laser Hair Removal?
Lasers are precise instruments that can be adjusted to the exact parameters that will specifically disable the hair follicle. The laser uses a wide beam that treats many hairs at once instead of treating hair-by-hair like electrolysis.
Because of this, large areas such as your legs, arms, or back can be treated in a relatively short period of time. You will see results that last far longer than tweezing, waxing, shaving, chemical depilation, or other temporary methods.
What Areas can be Treated with Laser Hair Removal?
Most commonly treated areas include:
- Bikini Area
Laser hair removal can be used to treat hair on almost every area of the body. Be sure to ask a member of our team which treatment area works best for your goals.
What Does Laser Hair Treatment Feel Like?
The treatment does have a slight prickly or stinging sensation. Most of our clients are able to tolerate the treatment without difficulty. However, since every person’s level of sensitivity is different and treatment areas may vary, a topical numbing cream is available for purchase.
How to Prepare for Your Laser Hair Removal Appointment
Avoid sun exposure and tanning. This includes all forms of sunless tanning and tanning creams. The more contrast there is between skin tone and hair color, the more effective the laser will be at disabling the hair follicles. Most providers recommend at least seven days of sun avoidance before laser hair removal.
Do not wax, pluck, or undergo electrolysis. Hair must be in the hair follicles for laser treatment to work. Shaving is appropriate and is recommended before each treatment, but no grooming that extracts hair.
Talk to your provider about the skincare products you are using. If you are undergoing laser hair removal on your face, we want to avoid any interactions between anti-aging ingredients and laser light. Ingredients like benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid are examples of potential irritants.
Cleanse the skin. The skin should be free of lotions, creams, fragrance, and cosmetics before laser hair removal. If deodorant or antiperspirant is applied before an underarm treatment, it will be removed before the laser is applied.
Dress comfortably for laser hair removal sessions. Choose clothing that allows the treatment area to be exposed and will remain loose on the skin after treatment.
How is Laser Hair Removal Performed?
The laser emits a beam of light that is attracted to the pigment (or melanin) in the hair follicle. For a hair follicle to be affected by the laser, it must be in an actively growing phase. Only about 15% of your hair follicles are active at any one time. Therefore, you will need multiple treatments (between 5-10) to get the permanent hair reduction you desire. Pre-determined pulse duration and energy settings are directed at and absorbed by the active hair follicles, disabling their growth and resulting in safe and effective hair removal.
What Results Can I Expect after Laser Hair Removal?
After your initial treatment, you should enjoy a significant reduction of hair. However, it will take 2-4 weeks for the treated hair to push its way to the surface and fall out. With each treatment, the hair in the actively growing phase will be effectively treated. A follow-up appointment is scheduled about 4-8 weeks after each treatment. With that in mind, remember the importance of maintaining your follow up appointments.
Is Laser Hair Removal Safe?
Laser devices use high-powered light energy to achieve specific outcomes. Due to the intensity of laser light, treatment should only be conducted by a licensed, trained professional. Performed by an experienced professional, there are very few risks to laser hair removal. If the process is not conducted properly, there is a potential for burns or blisters, as well as scarring from thermal injury.
Are there side effects to laser hair removal?
Common side effects of laser hair removal are mild and typically last no longer than a day or two. Many people also notice that the intensity and duration of side effects shorten as subsequent treatments occur.
After laser hair removal, clients should expect mild redness and swelling. The skin will likely feel sunburned for a short time. In some instances, people have noted subtle crusting or discoloration on the skin.
What is the Recovery from Laser Hair Removal?
Reddening and some minor swelling of the skin are the expected local reactions. They usually subside within a few minutes to a few hours and return to normal. Since the laser is not invasive in any way, no bandages are necessary. You are able to re-apply your make-up, return to work, and continue with your normal daily activities immediately following treatment.
It is also important to understand that results may vary depending on an individual’s hair type, stress levels, current medications, and different hormone levels. Keep in mind that some individuals will require fewer treatments and some will require more treatments, depending on the results desired.
How much does laser hair removal cost?
The cost of laser hair removal varies depending on influencing factors such as the size of the treatment area and the number of treatments that may be needed. Hair thickness, color, and complexion contribute to the duration of laser hair removal treatment. During our initial visit, we provide patients with an accurate cost based on these details.
Is laser hair removal permanent?
The FDA has cleared laser hair removal, regardless of the laser, for “Permanent Hair Reduction” only. Based on our experience, we believe that the hair treated will probably not re-grow. Each individual’s treatment response may be different due to hair or skin type. In addition, we have between 500 and 1000 hair follicles per square inch of our bodies. Many of these follicles are dormant at the time of a particular treatment and perhaps throughout the entire treatment process.
We have no way of knowing if and when they may start growing due to stress levels, certain medications and differing hormone levels throughout our life. If you follow the treatment protocol as we describe, you can expect at least an 80-90% total reduction in hair for the treated area.
How many laser treatments will I need?
It has been our experience most of our patients are able to discontinue treatments, knowing they will probably need an occasional touchup, after an average of 5-10 treatments. This is providing that the recommended treatment schedule is followed.
Is Laser Hair Removal covered by insurance?
Laser hair removal is conducted for cosmetic improvement and to add convenience to a person’s life. As an elective treatment, this process is not eligible for insurance coverage.
Laser Hair Removal Reviews
- “Knowledgeable and experienced staff. Focus is reaching customers goals with thorough explanation of options available. I’ve used Dr Cone and her staff for many services and have been very pleased every time.” – Elizabeth M.
- “Love this place! The entire staff is knowledgeable, kind, helpful and the atmosphere is fabulous. If you haven’t gone before you should make an appointment!” – Carol W.
Schedule Your Laser Hair Removal Consultation Today!
Are you tired of waxing, shaving, and plucking those pesky hairs every week? Consider laser hair removal treatment! Schedule your consultation today at 843-849-9925. We look forward to helping create a happier you!