Dry skin is not only annoying and unsightly, if it is left untreated it can lead to even worse problems, such as flare ups of rosacea and eczema. How do you fight dry skin? Read on for some information and tips.
What Causes Dry Skin?
Dry skin can be worse in the winter months, because you not only have cold and wind outside that can strip skin of moisture, you also have central heating, fireplaces, and space heaters inside, which reduce humidity. Of course, there are other reasons your skin might be dry: as we age, the skin tends to become thinner and makes less of the oils that help skin retain moisture, and people with certain skin conditions or those who are undergoing certain medical treatments are more likely to have dry skin.
Take Care of Your Skin
If you do have a skin condition, you should speak with your dermatologist about how to treat your dry skin, but here are a few tips that may help:
- Get a humidifier. Even those little humidifiers that you get at the drug store can add humidity to the home or office, where heating systems quickly dry out the air.
- Stay hydrated. We sometimes forget how important it is to drink enough water; it can go a long way toward helping dry, itchy skin.
- Don’t take hot showers. Use warm water instead of hot when you shower and when you take a bath, and don’t stay in your bath for over 10 minutes.
- Get a good moisturizer. Try a thicker ointment or cream containing jojoba oil or hyaluronic acid, and apply it as soon as you get out of the shower or bath so that it traps moisture in the skin.
- Cover up. When you go outside, cover as much of your skin as possible to protect it from the cold air.
Besides making you uncomfortable, dry skin can lead to all kinds of problems – it can even contribute to wrinkles and fine lines. The staff at AesthetiSpa Cosmetic Skin & Laser Center wants you to have beautiful skin! Contact the office in Mount Pleasant, SC, for an appointment. Call (843) 849-9925 today!