The aging process is a determined foe, but that doesn’t mean you have to let it win. We all face declining collagen production as we age. This is why our skin sags, creates areas of volume loss, develops creases, and the other ills of passing time. At AesthetiSpa, we believe wrinkles look great on pachyderms, not on us humans! One tool we use to fight back is a synthetic filler called Radiesse.
You may not know about Radiesse. Radiesse is a long-lasting option for our patients with smile and marionette lines, and other problems resulting from volume loss.
How does Radiesse work?
Natural fillers are derived from hyaluronic acid. At AesthetiSpa we offer the Juvederm and Restylane lines in the natural filler category. Hyaluronic acid naturally occurs in your body; its job is to bind with water molecules and plump and hydrate the skin.
Radiesse is different. It is made up of calcium hydroxylapatite (CaHA) microspheres suspended in an aqueous gel carrier. It is classified as a synthetic filler.
Radiesse fights the signs of aging in two ways. First the aqueous gel instantly fills and plumps the area when injected beneath a crease or wrinkle. But that’s sort of the side benefit of Radiesse. The real results come from the hydroxylapatite microspheres. These stimulate the body to produce new collagen in the injection area. This occurs in the weeks following your injection and the results last for a year or more. So, while most fillers lose their function once the body absorbs them, Radiesse, because it initiates the building of new collagen, continues to show its effects even after the microspheres and gel are absorbed.
What does it work on?
Radiesse is a volumizing filler, meaning it is effective for replacing volume and for deeper wrinkles such as those around the mouth. Here are the areas we use Radiesse for our AesthetiSpa patients.
- Smile lines — Clinically known as nasolabial folds, these lines run from the nose down to the corners of the mouth. They are the result of decreasing facial volume and skin elasticity that comes with aging.
- Marionette lines — While these lines may help a ventriloquist and his or her dummy, you don’t need them around your mouth. These lines run straight downward from the corners of the mouth and can make you look unhappy.
- Corners of the mouth — Also known as oral commissures, the corners of your mouth can turn downward as you age and lose volume below the mouth. This phenomenon can make you look as if you’re frowning or mad.
- Pre-jowl area — The areas on each side of the chin, the pre-jowl sulcus, can hollow out due to sagging in other areas of the lower face.
- Chin wrinkles — Chin wrinkles form horizontally across the chin and can be distracting to a person talking to you. Volume loss in the lower face again is the culprit.
Were you nodding when reading those line descriptions above? “Smile lines, yep.” Marionette lines, check.” Why not put Radiesse on the job of teaching those lines who’s the boss. Call us at AesthetiSpa, 843-849-9925, to make an appointment.