Enlarged pores can make your skin look dull, lifeless, and unhealthy – they can even make you look older than you are. Have you ever wondered why your pores are so large, and, even more importantly, what you can do about them?
What Causes Large Pores?
Having large pores is actually one of the more common skin problems, but you may not even realize how they are affecting how your skin looks. Large pores may be the result of:
- Genetics. Large pores may just be something unfortunate that you’ve inherited from your ancestors.
- Aging. There are some things we just can’t control – genetics is one of them, and aging is the other. As we age, the skin loses elasticity, which can make skin look saggy and stretched and can also make pores start to look bigger.
- Poor skin care. If, for years, you have neglected caring for your skin properly, dead skin calls can build up in your pores and stretch them out.
- Too much sebum. Pores contain sebaceous glands that make oil, and if your skin makes too much oil it can result in enlarged pores.
- Sun damage. The sun can damage skin in a variety of ways, such as wrinkles, and, yes, it can make pores look large as well!
- Large hair follicles. Under each pore there is a hair follicle; if your hair follicles are unusually large, the pore will be large.
What Can You Do About Large Pores?
There are some things you can do at home to reduce the size of your pores: make sure to wash your face regularly with a high-quality skin care product, moisturize your skin at least twice a day, and make sure to wear sunscreen every day.
You might also benefit from a spa treatment! There are several different treatments to choose from that can help with large pores and other skin issues, such as microdermabrasion, chemical peels, and hydrafacials. A skin care expert at AesthetiSpa Cosmetic Skin & Laser Center in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, can help you to decide which treatment would be best for you. Call (843) 849-9925 for an appointment today!